Radio is a device that people use for listening to various channels that broadcast by different radio stations in their region. Portable Radio has more functions than ordinary radio since they are easy to bring along with because they are built with small size, yet allows you to listen to any channel and many more. According to the popularity of portable radios, we decided to make the list of top 10 best portable radios of 2015 to provide the perfect choice for you.
Table of Contents
- Portable Radios Buying Guide
- 10. La Crosse 810-805 NOAA/FM/AM Super Sport Portable Radio
- 9. Sony Walkman Digital Tuning Portable Palm Size Stereo Radio
- 8. MIDLAND WR300 Weather Radio
- 7. Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave World Band Portable Radio
- 6. C Crane CC Skywave Portable Travel Radio
- 5. Sony ICF-S10MK2 Pocket AM/FM Radio
- 4. Sony ICF38 Portable Radio
- 3. Midland XT511 GMRS Two-Way Emergency Crank Portable Radio
- 2. SANGEAN WR-11 Table Top Radio
- 1.SANGEAN PR-D5BK AM/FM Portable Radio
Portable Radios Buying Guide
Portable radios are important communication systems because they’re easy to use and lots of styles are relatively cheap. Many of the most popular radios are two-way transceivers, which imply that you can send or transmit signals or messages and having them. This differs from broadcast radios, just like the ones you listen to music on, that can receive signals but not sending them. Cell phones are two-way radios since you can both send and get signals on them. Walkie-talkies are yet another sample of a two-way radio; low powered walkie-talkies can be purchased as children’s toys, while high-powered ones are frequently utilized by emergency personnel, law enforcement officers, and military staff.
With the recent technological advances in portable media, it’s no surprise that portable radios have also seen a lot of change in recent years. While you can still find the old analog tuning radios if you look for them, most new portable radios feature digital displays and digital tuning. However, not all radios handle this new technology in the same way.
For instance, some radios will have a digital clock. Some will have a backlight that’s always on, and some will have a backlight that only stays on for a few seconds after you interact with the radio. Many radios feature auto-shutoff features, whereby you can program the radio to turn off after a certain amount of time.
Unlike analog radios, digital radios allow you to define presets. While the number of presets varies by radio, most will allow between 10-25 presets across both AM and FM bands. Determining which features are most important to you is an important first step to identifying which radio would make the best purchase.
Do you want a radio for a table in your house? Do you want to take on the bus? Do you want to strap to your arm while you work out at the gym? Different sizes of radios come with different feature sets. Identifying where you want to use the radio (and what size will work for that purpose) is almost as important as deciding which radio to buy.
As with all electronics, portable radios come in a wide variety of styles, from the smooth and tiny to the ugly and bulky. As always, style comes with a price, and that price doesn’t always guarantee a functional device.
Some radios get better reception than others, but there are a couple things to keep in mind:
- No matter how good your radio, if you’re working in the basement of Fort Knox, you aren’t going to get a signal.
- The quality of the sound depends largely on your headphones. Most portable radios will come with a set of ear buds, but they are generally low-quality and should be replaced with a nice set of headphones. It’s also worth noting that many portable radios use the headphones as the antenna.
Most portable radios use alkaline batteries, but the type and quantity will depend on the size of the radio. Portable radios are simple electronics and tend to get exceptional battery life. Some even come with AC adapters and rechargeable batteries like you would expect to see on a cell phone.
As more and more mobile devices hit the market, we’re starting to see FM receivers built into other devices, such as MP3 players and cell phones. Nobody wants to carry around more electronics than they need to, so if FM radio is your thing, it might be worth checking out a converged device.
Here is the list of top 10 best portable radios in 2015 and their reviews for you:
You might read already our previous post:
- List 10 Best Portable Bluetooth Speaker With FM-Radio Reviews
- List 10 Best Weather Monitoring Clocks Reviews
- List 10 Best Portable Radios Reviews
10. La Crosse 810-805 NOAA/FM/AM Super Sport Portable Radio
- Speaking of a good portable radio, the one that lets you listen to any radio channels and has multi functions are what should be included. La Crosse 810-805 Super Sport Portable Radio has it all.
- It does not only allow you to listen to music or news from radio stations but also let you know about the weather since it is designed to be a weather radio as well.
- It also has rugged frame for active portability and bonus features. It will instantly alert you with its NOAA weather band channels and LED backlight change as soon as the weather changes.
- You can use the included lanyard to the anchor shaft at the bottom of the radio for carrying easily when you bring it along.
9. Sony Walkman Digital Tuning Portable Palm Size Stereo Radio
- Do you walk every day and need something to accompany you? This Sony Walkman Digital Tuning Portable Palm Size Stereo Radio can be your best body.
- This portable radio lets you to hear up-to-the-minute weather from your local weather band broadcasts daily as well as provides hours of listening with its compact size.
- It is also included with stereo headphone and belt clip that let you listen in private without letting your music out loud.
- The 20-station preset memory is designed for you to use the electronic settings for easy one-button tuning for your choice of audio from 5 weather bands, 10 FM stations, and 5am stations.
8. MIDLAND WR300 Weather Radio
- Weather forecasting is very important especially for those who live in the country because we never know what will happen unexpectedly with the rain and storms, that is why a portable weather radio is what people should have.
- The Midland Weather Alert Radio offers S.A.M.E technology which pre-programs the device to receive only those warning that apply to your local area.
- You can pick the state, country, or country countries and the single-speaker radio offers 23 programming country codes, AM/FM tuning, date, time, alarm, functions, and will automatically switch from AM/FM to pertinent all-hazards alert if there are storms or rain coming.
7. Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave World Band Portable Radio
- The compact, microprocessor-controlled, with frequency synthesized general coverage receiver is good for a portable radio.
- This Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave World Band Portable Radio is what you should own.
- You can enjoy programming from around the globe with this FM stereo multi-band world band receiver radio.
- You can listen to the airwaves in virtually any country with the ICF-SW7600GR multi-band world band receiver radio as well.
- This portable radio features an AM/FM stereo which provides accurate reception with stereo FM capability over a wide range of frequency and 10 Key Direct Access tuning that allows you to capture any distant stations directly which is absolutely a perfect choice.
6. C Crane CC Skywave Portable Travel Radio
- Talking about a portable radio, size matters most. If it is too big and difficult to bring along with, that is not a portable one.
- C Crane CC Skywave Portable Travel Radio is a compact radio that is suitable for at home or traveling.
- This portable radio has an intuitive layout so it is easy to use as well as fantastic for any performance.
- With its NOAA weather alert, you can get the warning when there any changes of the weather in your area.
- It is small, yet has perfect sound as well as comfortable for stashing in an interior crevice.
- Its standard features are clear and pleasing audio, 400 memory presets, direct entry keypad, auto scan, and lighted LCD display, and there are many more options available for you.
5. Sony ICF-S10MK2 Pocket AM/FM Radio
- How can you call it a portable radio when it is heavy and bigger than your hand? This Sony ICF-S10MK2 Pocket Radio will fit easily into your shirt or jacket pocket which convenience and easy portability.
- This tiny radio has the AM/FM tuner that allows you to choose from the wide range of radio talk shows to music programming.
- With the built-in speaker, it provides the convenient listening for you anywhere you go.
- The earphone jack permits private listening enjoyment as well improves the sound clarity in noisy environments as well.
- It also has some more extra features such as an LED tuning indicator, a telescopic antenna, and a carry strap as well.
4. Sony ICF38 Portable Radio
- The good radio is the radio that is easy to use which can bring in distant stations, clear sound, and small. Since Sony ICF30 Portable Radio has it all, this is the best one for you.
- You can take this portable radio with you anywhere you go to enjoy the good live shows that broadcast from radio stations.
- Sony ICF30 is also perfect for providing weather conditions or power outages for you.
- This radio is best for the garage, porch, and any places around the house since this handy portable radio delivers crisp sound and simplified controls.
- Its built-in carrying handle makes it convenient for you to carry. With its illuminated LED tuner, you can find the right station fast and easy although you are in a low light place.
3. Midland XT511 GMRS Two-Way Emergency Crank Portable Radio
- If you are looking for an Emergency two way radio, look no further. This Midland XT511 GMRS Two-Way Emergency Crank Portable Radio is everything you need.
- This portable radio is unique since it combines communication, emergency notification and information all in one package.
- The Dynamo Crank will power all the functions of the unit including the LED Flashlight then will alert you when the power is lost or there is no power available.
- Midland XT511 GMRS can stay up to date with the latest weather and hazard information with the NOAA Weather or All Hazard with Alert feature.
- Midland XT511 is a durable GMRS emergency crank radio with a wealth of features to keep you informed, charged up, and in contact no matter what situation you are in.
2. SANGEAN WR-11 Table Top Radio
- Elegant simplicity combined with state-of-art performance, the SANGEAN Table Top Radio does heads and shoulders above the competition in term of best radio.
- SANGEAN has the special features of providing clear and static free listening excellently of AM/FM reception to all listeners.
- With rotary dials that adjust the volume, selects AM/FM bands, and precisely tunes your station selection displayed in a softly lighten analog display.
- Its LED tuning eye will assure you when you achieve the best reception for your selected station.
- The wooden MDF cabinet material of this radio does not only make for an elegant appearance but also improve the sound quality due to its acoustically tuned design for you as well.
1.SANGEAN PR-D5BK AM/FM Portable Radio
- Black color, classy look, and compact, SANGLEAN PR-D5BK is the last portable radio you will ever have to buy since has an enormous 200mm ferrite antenna providing the best AM reception you have ever heard.
- It is on the first position of the best portable radios list because of its antenna quality and last for long time to use.
- This radio is light, yet powerful enough with Dual 2.5’’ special stereo speakers with Radio Data System text function that makes it a standout portable receiver.
- It is designed with an easy-to-read LCD display that shows you the station and time with the segment-style LCD screen which is easy to see even across the room or in the low light place.
- Since it is the best and elegant portable radio, do not hesitate you own one.